Monday, July 2, 2012

So I can't stop sweating!

So after my underwear fell out of my suitcase for all to see in the CA airport, classic, and we kind of skipped Sunday, and had a layover in Taiwan, I'm finally IN CAMBODIA!!! Now week one is done... so here is a quick recap and then hopefully I can keep up with this!

Got to Cambodia on a Monday, it took a matter of seconds before I started sweating-JOY, and jumped right into teaching on Tuesday (real JOY)! The first day consisted of setting up my awesome room, pronouncing and re-pronouncing AND re-pronouncing my TA's name and my students' names. I have 17 amazing students, haha actually for the first few days I wasn't sure how many students I had- is that bad? :) Anyways, they are great and know English well and we have a good time. I'm starting to get to know these kids as individuals and how they learn, where they struggle, and who they are which has been neat!




We have been working on math, science, and creative writing! The creative writing has been by far my favorite because these kids are actually super creative! The first day we created a story together as a class...
The Adventure of Princess Bubble Gum
Once upon a time there was a beautiful bubble gum princess with pink hair. She lived in a gigantic castle made out of candy. Princess lived with her blue pet alien named, Kirby! One day the Evil Spaghetti Dragon captured Princess Bubble Gum. Princess Bubble Gum was scared and sad. Luckily, Finn and Jake (still have no idea who these guys are) came to save the day. Finn and Jake threw candy at the Evil Spaghetti Dragon! The dragon died and the Princess, Finn, and Jake enjoyed a nice spaghetti dinner! The End.

The next day Solomon brought me my very own Princess Bubble Gum, which he created the night before! Its so fantastic :)

We also made creative pencils for creative writing and worked on decorating name tags. They love the crafts. Later in the week we created Friend Recipes, imagined if we were 1" tall, and worked with Add-On stories...more to come!



 This week was so much fun and I love working with these children. I have one student who does not speak any English so that has been a challenge. I think I made a small break through the other day though...I shared my snack, got her to go down the slide a few times, and we held hands as we soaked our toes in the pool. I think I saw a smile :)

I'm kind of living in "luxury," in this bubble of home and school but I've been struggling with that. I ride to school and see naked kids next to tent houses and then moments later switch on the AC to my classroom. I haven't quite figured out my purpose for being here but I truly know and trust that I am here for a reason and challenges are to come! Friday started to open my eyes a bit more...

Friday afternoon the neighborhood kids came to play at the school. Once the gates were open the kids came flooding in, it was awesome! These kids know practically no English but they are my favorite! I got to go swimming with some of the kids, play soccer, and had the best moment at the end of the day. I was on a tire swing with two sweet girls that I knew nothing about, not even their names, but we were able to share a moment of great joy and we laughed and we smiled, and I held onto these girls so that they knew they were protected...at that moment by me but forever by God! There is a love that speaks so greater than any words.



I'm continuing to search, continuing to grow, and continuing to learn a love so great for my Lord and Savior!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Katrina! I look forward to hearing how God works in and through you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina!!! This blogging thing is wonderful! It really is helping me to know what you are up to...besides sweating, that is!! I LOVE the pics!

    ReplyDelete